September 13, 2010 by The Editor
|Affectionately called||Ammu, Puratchi Thalaivi|
|Profession||Actor turned Politician|
|Date of birth||Feb-24-1948|
|Place of birth||Mysore|
|Schools attended||* Bishop cotton Girls High School, Bangalore.
* Presentation Convent Church Park, Chennai.
|As a dancer||Well versed in Bharata Natyam, Mohini Attam, Kathak,Manipuri.|
|Would have been||Lawyer|
|Debut||* Kannada film:’ chinnada Gombe’
* Telugu film:’ Manushulu Mamathalu’
* Tamil film :‘vennira aadai ‘
* With MGR:“Aayirarhthil Oruvan”
* With Shivaji: ‘Galaata Kalyaanam’
|Rise to fame character||As a vampish lead in G. Krishna’s James Bond-type hit Goodachari 116 she was noticed by everyone..|
|Entry into politics||First as the Secretary of the AIADMK, then was nominated to the Rajya Sabha.|
|Awards||* 1972- Kalaimamani award from the government of Tamilnadu.* 1991-
Was conferred the Degree of Doctor of Literature(D.Litt) by the
University of Madras.
* 1992- Dr MGR Medical University conferred the degree of Doctor of Science.
* 1993-Madurai Kamaraj University conferred the degree of Doctor of Letters.
* 2003-Tamil Nadu Agricultural University conferred the degree of Doctor of Science.
* 2003-Bharathidasan University conferred the degree of Doctor of Letters (Honoris Causa)
|Influential persons in her life||* Mother Celine(school head mistress)* Her mother for her career in films. * Dr. M.G.R for her career in politics.|
|Worst Moment||When she was attacked in the Tamil Nadu Assembly by then ruling party people.|
|Highs||* In 1982 when she gave her maiden speech about ‘pennin perumai’ which was applauded by Dr. M.G.R*In 1984 her Rajya sabha maiden speech which impressed Mrs.Indira Gandhi|
|Lows||The passing away of her mother and Dr.M.G.R.|
|For the welfare of women||* Cradle baby scheme.
* All women police station.
|Special interst||Studying Law|
|Hobbies||Has a large private library with a huge collection of books|
|Likes to watch||Old tamil, hindi and english movies|
|Impressed by the book||“Wild Swans”|
* After completion of Matriculation in 1964, she won a scholarship from Government of India for higher studies but did not accept it as she took up a career in films.* Played ‘herself’ as a politician/chief minister in the movie ‘Neenga Nalla Erukkanum’* Jayalalitha’s assets were worth Rs 2.01 crore, after five years in power, her assets were calculated to be disproportionate by Rs 66.65.
* Out of the 468 gold items seized during the raid, the ‘ottiyanam’, weighing 1,044 gms with 2,389 diamond, emerald and ruby stones, and engraved with a dancing peacock in the middle alone was worth Rs 46.79 lakhs.
* The first Woman Leader of the Opposition in the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly.
* She was elected from Andipatti Assembly constituency in February 2002 to become the Chief Minister of Tamilnadu.
|Chief Minister||* from 24-06-1991 to 12-05-1996,* from 14-05-2001 to 21-09-2001and* from 02-03-2002 to -12-05-2006|
|Portfolio’s handled by her as C.M.||Public, General Administration, Indian Administrative Service, Indian Police Service, other All India Services, District Revenue Officers, Home, Police and Minorities Welfare.|
|Address||“Veda Nilayam”, 81/36 Poes Garden, Chennai – 600 086.|
|About her life||“One-third of my life was dominated by my mother, the other part — a major one — was dominated by MGR. Two-third of my life is thus over. One third remains and this part of my life remains for myself but there are some responsibilities and duties to be fulfilled”.|
Who is J Jayalalithaa?Woman, actress, Brahmin, Kannadiga. Conventional wisdom would suggest that profile is all wrong in the hard playfield of Tamil Nadu politics and in a Dravidian party. But then J Jayalalithaa‘s life and career are the stuff fables are made of. Or movie scripts.
The fame and celebrity she earned as a successful actress would pale in comparison with what she would get in her later years. Not 65 yet, J Jayalalithaa is a political giant not only in Tamil Nadu, where she is now serving her third stint as Chief Minister. Brand J Jayalalithaa is an undeniable presence at the national level; for over a decade she has been courted by national parties and this time it is the BJP wooing her assiduously in the run-up to the 2014 general elections, while regional parties from other states gather around her in alignment on issues that where they are increasingly crossing swords with the Centre.
To her many supporters she is Amma (mother) or Puratchi Thalaivi (Revolutionary Leader). To MGR, her political mentor, she was Ammu; she acknowledges him as one of the most important influences in her life. The other being her mother, Sandhya, an actress who fell on hard times and had to send her 15-year-old daughter to a film studio rather than college.
J Jayalalithaa was born on February 24, 1948, in Mysore. She began schooling at the Bishop Cotton Girls High School in Bangalore and later attended the Presentation Convent at Church Park, Chennai, when her mother began a career as a Tamil film actress. The family moved to Chennai after J Jayalalithaa‘s father died when she was just two and the family fell into poverty. Worse days were to come when J Jayalalithaa‘s older brother Jayakumar died.
J Jayalalithaa was a good scholar and is said to have wanted to become a lawyer and be rich. Mother Celine, the principal at her school is the third person J Jayalalithaa has said played a big role in shaping her.
J Jayalalithaa wouldn’t be a lawyer, but she would be rich – a successful film career lay ahead. Chinnada Gombe, her first film (in Kannada) was a major hit. She also acted in an English film titled Epistle that was released in 1961. The film was produced by Shankar Giri, son of former President of India Dr VV Giri. It was a James Bond-style film, Gonndachari 116, which catapulted her to fame. Her first Telugu film was Manushulu Mamathalu while her Tamil debut was with the film Vennira Aadai. She was revolutionary in an industry where heroines had hitherto been sari-clad and demure. J Jayalalithaa is said to have been the first to wear skirts on screen.
She also acted in a few Bollywood films, the most remembered among them “Izzat” where she was the heroine of Dharmendra, who would later also join politics as a BJP MP.
In life and on celluloid she would really be Tamil Superstar MG Ramachandran’s heroine; they acted in 28 films together, including Kavalkaran, Adimai Pen, Engal Thangam, Kudiyiruntha Koil, Ragasiya Police 115 and Nam Naadu. Some of her popular movies are Vennira Aadai, Aayirathil Oruvan, Kavalkaran, Pudhiya Boomi, Iru Deivangal, Nadhiyai Thedi Vandha Kadal.
J Jayalalithaa‘s last film was Nadhiyai Thedi Vandha Kadal in 1980. In her tempestuous relationship with MGR, there were many crests and troughs. They fell out and then, in the early 1980s came together as the most important phase of Jayalalitha’s life began. In 1982, at the age of 34, she joined the AIADMK. There was no struggle or grind – she went straight to the top echelons of the party, became the propaganda secretary much to chagrin of many seasoned partymen and was soon nominated to the Rajya Sabha.
She learnt her politics from a man known to have been one of Tamil Nadu’s shrewdest politicos. But she rebelled too, obviously very much her own woman. J Jayalalithaa is single, she never married.
MGR died in 1987, in harness as Chief Minister. The next year the AIADMK split with one faction supporting MGR‘s widow Janaki and the other supporting J Jayalalithaa, who laid claim to MGR‘s political legacy. She remained a Rajya Sabha MP till she was elected to the Tamil Nadu Assembly in 1989 and became Leader of Opposition. Around the same time, she charged a DMK leader, Durai Murugan, with assault. She said he had tried to pull her sari when she obstructed then Chief Minister M Karunanidhi while he was presenting the 1990 state budget.
In 1991, J Jayalalithaa became Chief Minister for the first time, heading a coalition government that included the Congress.
She lost the 1996 Tamil Nadu elections and the DMK government that succeeded her filed cases of corruption against her that she is still battling in court. In 1997, when the DMK government confiscated all her jewelry during investigation into cases relating to owning disproportionate assets, J Jayalalithaa swore that she would not wear jewelry again.
For 14 years a woman known to have fondly owned a gold waist belt studded with diamonds, more than 10,000 saris and 750 pairs of shoes, among many other things, wore not a piece of jewelry. She only did last year after her massive electoral comeback. Then too because, she said, party workers asked her to, some even threatening to kill themselves if she didn’t acquiesce.
The Tamil Nadu CM is proficient in many languages – she speaks English, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Hindi fluently. MGR is said to have sent her to the Rajya Sabha as she spoke English so well. An accomplished dancer, J Jayalalithaa trained in classical dance forms like Bharatnatyam, Mohini Attam, Kathak and Manipuri and performed all over India. She also started learning Carnatic music at the age of 4 and sang several songs in her own films.
In 1972, she was honoured by the Tamil Nadu government with the award Kalaimamani. These awards are given by the Tamil Nadu Iyal Isai Nataka Manram (literature, music and theatre) for excellence in the field of art and literature.
J Jayalalithaa is a voracious reader and reads practically everything. Her favourite authors are Charles Dickens, Jane Austen and, among others, Oscar Wilde, Bernard Shaw, Sidney Sheldon, Danielle Steel, Pearl S Buck and James Hadley Chase.
Even as an actress, she would always carry books with her to the studio, and would sit quietly by herself in a corner and read between shots. She has a large private library with a huge collection of books.
Liked this portfolio?
Dr. Kalaignar Karunanidhi
Related news, gossips & rumors
J.Jayalalitha to attend Velayudham music launch?
Chief Minister J Jayalalitha calls Latha Rajnikanth
J Jayalalitha and Vijay on same stage?
Superstar Rajnikanth calls both JJ & MK
Rajinikanth and Jayalalitha attended the Srikanth's son Adithya's wedding
Vijay's Velayudham Music postponed
Rajnikanth to make political entry this year
63 yrs of being J.Jayalalitha
Jayalalitha blesses Ajith & Vijay
Superstar Rajnikanth discharged from hospital
Vadivelu Questioning AIADMK
Vijay's political outfit will take time, says S.A Chandrasekaran
Politics of Dasavatharam
M. Karunanidhi changed new year day for self-publicity - J. Jayalalithaa
Chief Minister J.Jayalalitha on focus in Tamil film!
Interested in Writing Portfolio For SouthDreamZ.com?Are you interested in writing for SouthDreamZ.com on one of portfolio or updating Dr.J Jayalalitha portfolio? You can! SouthDreamZ.com is currently looking for writers who are interested in writing portfolio. Send your articles to firstname.lastname@example.org, for more details visit Feature Yourself page.
On this page, we have tried to provide all the information on Dr.J Jayalalitha. However, if you encounter any discrepancy in the information about Dr.J Jayalalitha, do write to us. We welcome any kind of feedback that would improve the quality of the site, a site that strives to provide the best information on Dr.J Jayalalitha.
Hot & Superb South celebrities portfolios
38AnjaliAnjali is a South Indian Actress and a Model who has acted in Tamil, Telugu and Kannada Movies.
12ApoorvaApoorva is famous Telugu actress and she is looking very beautiful. Once you visit her photo galley,
17RambhaName: Ramba Born: June 5,1976 Place of birth: Vijayawada, AP Nickname: Thunder thighs Acted in:
22KaveriKaveri (also known as Kalyani) is an Indian Malayali film actress and film producer, who works in
23SimranName: Simran (Simran Naval) Nick Name: Son Date of birth: 4th April 1976 Family: Father - Ashok
26SrikanthName: Srikanth Full Name: Kantham Date of birth: February 28, 1979 First Film: Kothalam in Tamil,
38AnjaliAnjali is a South Indian Actress and a Model who has acted in Tamil, Telugu and Kannada Movies.
- Technical Tips
- South Indian Recipes
- Career Tips
- tourist places in south india
- Pure Tamil Names - Find the best Tamil baby name for your baby
- Home remedies tips and natural cures for common health problems
- HealthTips.in - Your free guide to live a healthy life. Daily health tips and fitness guide
- All the latest beauty and fashion tips
- News Cloud
- List of Top 10
- Malayalam Masala actress
- Indian desi vidoes
- Happy Birthday
- Tamil actor Ajith Kumar latest news & gossips
- Tamil actor Vijay latest news & gossips
- Tamil actor Rajinikanth latest news & gossips
- Tamil actor Kamal Haasan latest news & gossips
- Tamil actor Simbhu latest news & gossips
- Tamil actor Dhanush latest news & gossips
- Tamil actor Suriya latest news & gossips
- Tamil actor Vikram latest news & gossips
- Tamil actress Anjali hot photos, latest news & gossips
- Tamil actress Kajal Agarwal hot photos, latest news & gossips
- Tamil actress Amala Paul hot photos, latest news & gossips
- Tamil actress Anushka Shetty hot photos, latest news & gossips
- Tamil actress Richa Gangopadhyay hot photos, latest news & gossips
- Tamil actress Hansika Motwani hot photos, latest news & gossips
- Tamil actress Shreya Saran hot photos, latest news & gossips
- Tamil actress Asin hot photos, latest news & gossips
- Tamil actress Nayanthara hot photos, latest news & gossips
- Tamil actress Tamannaah hot photos, latest news & gossips
- Tamil actress Trisha hot photos, latest news & gossips
- Tamil actress Ileana hot photos, latest news & gossips
- Tamil actress Tapsee hot photos, latest news & gossips
- Tamil actress Shruti Hassan hot photos, latest news & gossips
- Tamil actress Mallika Sherawat hot photos, latest news & gossips
- Tamil actress Bipasha Basu hot photos, latest news & gossips
- Tamil actress Katrina Kaif hot photos, latest news & gossips
- Tamil actress Kareena Kapoor hot photos, latest news & gossips
© Copyright 2007 - 13 | SouthDreamz.com | Powered by WordPress | Maintained by palPalani
Disclaimer: SouthDreamz.com publishes Tamil cinema news, Tamil movie schedules in USA, Tamil movie tickets, Tamil movie showtimes, Chennai and Tamilnadu theaters list, Tamil celebrities latest updates, actor and actress gossips, rumours and much more., this may contain errors. We make no warranty to the correctness, reliability of the content. content published in this site is based on opinion of content writer. Please don't judge based on news articles, movie reviews etc provided in this site please let us know if you find any news is wrong. For more details, please check our official disclaimer page.